About the Client
Oneida Nation Goes Enterprise with Document Management
With the selection of an OnBase document management solution through Naviant, the Oneida Tribe of Indians of Wisconsin created for themselves an opportunity to significantly improve the way it managed its physical documents. “A key objective of the initiative was to provide this new capability as an organization-wide solution versus business unit by business unit. The strategy was to offer a system that was scalable and supported document storage and retrieval across all Oneida business units.”
OnBase has truly become an important enterprise asset for the Oneida Tribe of Indians of WI. Since the initial implementation, Oneida Nation has over 2.4 million documents in their OnBase system and over 600 employees in over 20+ departments using OnBase. Please read more to see how OnBase has influenced specific departments within The Nation.
The Business Committee are the elected officials of the Oneida Tribe of Indians of Wisconsin. The Tribal Secretary and Oneida’s Records Management Department are responsible for maintaining accurate documentation of Business Committee and General Tribal Council meeting minutes and making them available to tribal members upon request. Past years of minutes have been scanned into OnBase. Using OCR capture technology and “full text indexing”, Records Management has provided a powerful research tool to the tribal members.
- Eliminate the need for multiple paper copies of minutes
- Improve the ability to research past minutes efficiently
- Research time reduced from days to hours or minutes
The Division of Land Management was one of the first “quick wins” for an OnBase implementation. Land Management is responsible for managing the records for all tribal lands that are in “Federal Trust.” The integrity of the original documents needed to be preserved and at the same time reviewed by multiple people at the same time. Records that were imported into OnBase included: contract negotiations, property deeds, meeting minutes, etc.
- Ability to share meeting minutes instantaneously across multiple people
- A recommended structure and organization of physical documents for proper
management and control
- Quick indexing and retrieval methods for more efficient processes
- Allowing access to the scanned documents while preserving integrity of the originals
- A proper place for each document—no more misplaced files
The Accounting Department originally started as a mere attempt to scan Account Payable checks, but they quickly realized the power of OnBase document management and they now scan about forty different categories of documents into OnBase.
- Able to rid of a file room full of paper
- Reduced cost for the Accounting budget as supplies no longer were needed
to maintain paper file rooms
- Numerous users can now access the same file at the same time if needed
- Hours are no longer spent on finding misplaced files
- OnBase has strengthened confidentiality
- Overtime costs have decreased because files are available 24 hours per day
- Application Enabler has helped to increase user-friendliness in the ECM system
The Employee Health department believes OnBase to be an incredible asset in their department. After moving from an older Paradox system for their Case Management needs, OnBase provides a dependable solution that allows for more than one user to be in the system at a time.
- Multiple user access that is easy
- Streamlines employee health charting
- Easy and fast retrieval of information at all times
- Complete reduction in paper charts that were heavy and took up space
- Saves the company paper and money
- Old files are immediately purged when no longer needed
The Background Investigations Department of the Oneida Gaming Commission implemented OnBase as part of a later phase. The transition into OnBase proved as of today, their entire paper filing system has been converted into digital records.
- Elimination of a vacant records technician position as the entire staff has the capability and access to import, scan, and retrieve their own records
- Audits are completed in less than half of the time that they used to take due to fast document retrieval
- Correcting and updating of files has become very easy
- All the functions of a conventional filing system can be performed while
working at a specific terminal and completed without the assistance of
administrative staff – this makes completion time of requests much quicker
and less expensive
The use of OnBase in the Security Department meant that the data entry staff had begun the process of scanning all Daily Log Book forms (shift rotations, radio logs, key logs), vehicle mileage logs, visitor logs, and PSM delivery logs into OnBase for easy electronic retrieval.
The entering of this data into OnBase has allowed various departments to retrieve information on their own at a moment’s notice, without retrieving a physical paper file from a warehouse (Oneida Nation’s old process). Various business units are now able to retrieve department documents at their convenience.
- Elimination of previous manual distribution processes for specific needed reports
- Elimination of hand data entry of full reports; these reports can now be scanned into the system for easy retrieval by those authorized to access the documents
- Minimization of interruptions; efficiency in document retrieval
- Numerous purging of paper files; cost reduction in storage
- Commercial size scanner has cut scan time drastically
- Easy access to employee files for supervisors
The Oneida Tribe of Indians of Wisconsin’s Higher Education department has been able to greatly improve customer service response time. In addition to this, many costs have been eliminated from the budget.
- Higher Education (HE) staff were allowed immediate access to student records/files
- Elimination of time and cost due to the pulling of hundreds of student files and individual paperwork of 1,063 students
- Elimination of expensive filing cabinets, numerous student folders, the usage
of in/out cards and time tracking of filing
- The ability to develop document type groups within OnBase that used to be
grouped in three-ring binders and file folders
Comprehensive Health Division
The Oneida Comprehensive Health Division consists of Primary Medical care, Behavioral Health, Dental, Optical, Pharmacy, Long Term care, Contract Health,and other related services. OnBase Front Office Scanning is being used to capture Insurance cards, Tribal ID, HIPAA release forms, and other forms of Identification at the time of check-in for patients.
Once captured, these documents are made available to other service areas, such as Pharmacy, using OnBase Application Enabler. With the ongoing implementation of GE Healthcare’s Centricity Electronic Medical Records System, OnBase is being used to integrate documents from outside specialty providers using an HL7 interface.
- Elimination of the need to pull paper charts for basic patient information and HIPAA release forms
- Ability to integrate OnBase to Pharmacy, Dental, Contract Health, etc. using Application Enabler
- Interfacing OnBase to Centricity eliminated the need to purchase a 2nd
document management system
“It is important to us to be as self-sufficient as we can, but Naviant is always there when we
need assistance. We estimate alabor savings in excess of twomillion dollars annually. OnBase
document management has transformed how we do business.”
– Jim Wildenberg
MIS Application & Development,
Oneida Nation of Wisconsin
“OnBase has transformed our organization. Naviant provides us with the high quality support we come to expect from a vendor.”
– Mark Osterberg
Business Systems Analyst,
Oneida Nation of Wisconsin